Re: stock tires do not suck(oh yes they do)

Khan Klatt wrote:

> >Before you ditch the 2WD concept ... consider RWD over FWD.  As you
> >accelerate, weight shifts rearward compressing the rear spring and
> >uncompressing the front end.  This causes less weight to fall over the
> >front wheels and therefore less traction.  This is why the preferred means
> >of running the quarter is with RWD vehicles.  AWD or 4WD is nice, but its
> >also heavy.
>
> That would give a lot of credence to the fact that I'm trying to
> accelerate up hill in my particular complaint, which means little
> weight on the front wheels going up the hill.

Extremely .. this is why your car has less grip on a hill than it does on flat
land.

> The problem with RWD is what car would I buy with RWD? A Porsche? A
> BMW? I don't know much about M. Benz, but I will not buy anything but
> German engineering.

Go with a 3 series from BMW.  Don't get the 328, its a waste of money.  The 323
has a base price that's $7k less than the 328.  For that 7K, all you get is 19
more horsepower and 15% more torque.  For $6k, Will Turner
(http://www.turnermotorsports.com) will
install a wonderful blower for you dyno tested to add 100hp.  On top of that,
the 323 comes with a completely different transmission than the 328, the gear
ratios are taller and closer together, and the final drive is taller, which is
why even with a power penalty, the 323 is within half a second of the 328
through 60 and the quarter.  I'm getting my 323Ci (with Xenon lights, metallic
paint, in-dash CD, navigation system, and sport package which includes 17"
rubber and revised suspension yada yada ya) for $30,100 out the door.  Now of
course, this on European delivery which saved me about $3600 out the door, but
that's not a bad price, only about $8K more than a similarly decked GLX.

> So, instead of RWD, why not just go for AWD? I could care less about
> weight, as I'm not really doing competitive driving. I want one
> all-purpose car, and safety and practicality are more important than
> the weight of the car for me. I can't imagine preferring a RWD car to
> an AWD vehicle.

Don't forget that an AWD vehicle will only help you accelerate better, it
doesn't help you corner or brake any better.  There are advantages to both
configurations.  If you get really good, you can learn to pitch your car
sideways and mash the throttle to the floor.  It's an extremely interesting way
to corner =).  Some problems though, it's very hard to properly throttle-steer
an AWD car through a turn.

RWD is the true choice of the track-oriented person.  You can throttle-steer
very easily, you can put more power to the ground than you can with FWD, and
advanced maneuvers like high-speed-rotations are possible only with RWD
vehicles.  Also, when it comes to having fun in the snow .. nothing beats out
RWD =).

You may not be into the track now .. but go once, and if it's in your blood,
you'll be hooked for life.  Look into going with local car clubs (BMWCCA holds
many club and track events each year .. of course, you have to own a BMW and be
a member of the club).  For about $200 (depending on how many people go), you
can have an absolute blast.  You will also learn more in one day at the track
with some good instruction about high-speed driving than you ever would on the
street alone.  Enjoy

Bill
'98 GLX