Re: stock tires do not suck(oh yes they do)

Khan Klatt wrote:

> OK, I'm going to have to call bullshit on that one. If you're going
> to say that the problem with my setup is ME, and not the tires, that
> is a bunch of bullshit. You don't know what I experience every day in
> the morning, and I've had better experiences in a damn Corolla in
> this SAME situation than I've had with my lame GA's.
>
> I drive my girlfriend's Jetta (A4 4banger chassis) and I have no
> problems going up the hill. In my A3 VR6? It's like a slip and slide.

I never meant to point fingers at you, and my comment about people blaming their
own inabilities on tires was not directed toward you, it was a generalized
statement and as I read it back, it was very harsh, my apologies.

> Sure, the average Jetta owner, but the average GLX owner?

The average GLX owner is NOT an enthusiast.  How many people are on this list
compared to the number of GLX's sold since this list was formed?  If my parents had
the money, they definately would've bought the GLX.  Mom would've loved the power
to "get up that hill on Rt. 280" without having to floor the gas pedal.  Dad thinks
he's the Mario Andretti of the street world ... but the fact remains that he's slow
as shit on four wheels, and on two.  My girlfriends best friend just picked up a
'99 GLX after sampling mine and she loves it.  She can't drive for anything .. but
that didn't stop her from getting the VR6.

> I think George was a little out of line to tell you not to air your
> comments (I forget his exact wording), everyone's opinions (if
> properly aired with mutual respect) are welcome here, as long as they
> are essentially Jetta enthusiasts.
>
> Personally, I have a problem with you blaming me for something that
> are fairly clearly the shortcomings of the tire. Unless I don't know
> what the hell I'm talking about (a distinct possibility) and no
> matter what tire I use I'll get the same experience...

Again, that wasn't intended to be directed at you, I'm very sorry.

> But I doubt that's the case. I'll bet that there is a particular tire
> I'm looking for that will handle the wet in the Pacific Northwet
> better than these GA's, and I'll know that soon enough.
>
> So, I'll post in a couple of months that, either
>
> a) I'm the man, and you're wasting our time with your defense of the GA's, or
>
> b) you're the man, and I'm wasting our time with my criticism of the
> GA's, and that I just wasted money on more expensive tires, and that
> see you guys, it's time for me to go and buy a 4WD sportscar, so
> maybe I'll see you on the Audi list.

c) Neither ...  everyone's needs are different.  You and I need sportier tires, but
that doesn't mean that I have to knock the stockers.  They are well matched to the
stock car and were a good move by VW in my opinion.

Bill
'98 GLX