Re: stock tires do not suck

At 2:40 PM -0500 1/31/2000, Bill Hussey wrote:
>Khan Klatt wrote:
>
>For me, more grip is in order, but the stock GA's do not "suck",
>that is my whole argument.

The flaw I find in your argument is that there are other tires that
won't do what the GA's do, and if you're trying to support VW with
their decision of what tires they put on the Jettas, that's a battle
I'm not going to fight. Let's assume you're right.

What you're incorrect about is that they are NOT the kind of tire
that I want on my Jetta. I want a different tire, one with more
traction in the wet. I know there are tires that can do better than
the GA's in these conditions, and that is the tire I want.

It is absurd for you to state that a GA is completely fine for my
application, because quite simply, there are other alternatives that
are superior to the GA in performance, even if they aren't ideal in
treadwear or cost, but then aren't you specifying your particular
preferences in these realms when I never stated that cost or
treadwear was a priority of mine?

>But again .. enthusiasts make up a very small percentage of Jetta
>owners.  For VW to spend A LOT more money on sportier tires would be
>a waste.

I didn't say I wanted a refund. I didn't say VW sucks for choosing
the GA's. I didn't say most people are worse off because VW chose
GA's. All I was driving at (pun intended) is that the GA's suck
because I run into their limitations on almost a daily  basis, and
that is an annoyance to me, and I want different tires which will
improve things.

I believe I can find such a tire, and if I can't, I'll let you know,
and if I can, I'll let you know that too. Now I just have to save up
the money to buy the tires and end the argument one way or another,
because my GA's do need replacing soon enough.

>  > I still maintain that the GA's are not the performance tires that I'm
>  > looking for in this car. If the Toyo's don't fix the problem, and the
>  > problem is with 2WD like you suggest, I'll be selling my Jetta faster
>  > than you can say "Quattro".
>
>A little FYI, front wheel drive is the least optimal of all configurations for
>really going fast.

Again, you may have lost the original context of my message. I'm not
trying to go "Really fast" just trying to go from 0 to 35mph (speed
limit) in a reasonable amount of time with the most control possible.
Anything revving above 2000 rpm in first gear slips the GA's like a
m*f*.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax