Traction Control

Regarding the questions about traction control I would guess that the VW
system works by applying the brake on the spinning wheel up to 15mph.
When your driving in the snow it is pretty easy to get the speedo reading
5mph with the wheels spinning before you realize it. It wouldn't really
make sense to shut off the traction control automatically at 5mph because
of that. Does the traction control on the VWs work well?

I am new to the list and I don't own a VW. I'm just thinking about buying
one. My last car was an Eclipse GSX but it got too small for me so now I
am out shopping. I was on the DSM list before and now I am trying to get
as much info about the VWs before I buy one. I haven't really decided on
a GTi or GLX yet, I like them both. The only real problems I have heard
about the VWs are the notchy transmissions (from someone who owned a '90
GLi) and electrical problems. The only mods I plan on doing are a K&N
drop in replacement filter and suspension (struts, springs, strut tower
bar).

Jess