Re: GLX Mods

At 9:11 AM -0400 8/27/98, Sean E. Mulch wrote:
>To Khan Klatt:
>On your personal car description, I was intrigued by some of the aftermarkets
>you've installed.
>
>I love my GLX. The only thing I  wish was better was the body roll. The car
>handles, tracks and corners well. But I notice that when throwing the car into
>a turn at a higher velocity than the municipalities would like, the body seems
>to roll. The tires hang on but I suspect that the cars higher center of
>gravity
>conspires to cause this. Do either of these mods help that and do they
>increase
>ride harshness?
>
> --> Bilstein HD
> --> Neuspeed Sofsport

Yes, these mods help reduce body roll, quite significantly. The car now
takes turns quite aggressively, as if it's saying "Give me MORE!"

At this stage, my suspension is quite a bit better than my Eagle GA's,
meaning that to get any more cornering performance out of them, I should
really invest in better tires (like Toyo Proxes FZ4's -- not the best
performing Proxes, but very good tread rating, *and* great in all-weather
climates, like the NW).

>BTW who installed them?

Roger Jobs motors in Bellingham, WA, my dealer. I'm one of the few people
on this list that thinks their dealer rocks. (The other notable exception
being Jeff Newton) They aren't extremely inexpensive, but I'm willing to
pay to have it done right, and to be able to take it back and not hear any
hassles if I want changes done (I'm going back today to get the alignment
fixed-- the car likes to dive to the right in straightaways)

>Also what do you mean by  --> AirCondition Mod

Many people have spoken about this, but here's a refresher:

When manufactured, the plastic molding that goes around your
temperature/air pressure/direction control dials (you know, those three
dials on your console -- see
<http://www3.vw.com/art/gallery/wolfsburg/wolfjetta_lrg_cd.jpg> for a visual
) had the words "AirCondition" imprinted on it. However, if you turn on
your lights at night, you'll see that all the words on this panel are
illuminated *except* the words "AirCondition". This is because VW, at the
manufacturing plant puts a black piece of tape behind the words,
effectively blacking the words out.

Why? Probably because they were getting calls from people saying "My AC is
on, and I can't turn it off!!". In reality the AC control light is on the
button (the orange one) and not on the console, which simply states that
the car is "AC" equipped.

You can make the mod by getting a couple small eyeglasses screwdriver, and
prying the panel off *carefully* (I've heard reports of people damaging the
bulbs, etc. when doing this) and removing the piece of tape from the words
"AirCondition". Replace the panel, and voila, a cheap an inexpensive mod.
And with the wieght savings, you'll probably reduce your 0-60 times by a
significant margin! :)

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt