Car Damage from Roads, who pays?

     Hello, has anyone ever had any luck pursueing there local
     transportation department for money for damage to your car because of
     crappy roads?  Last night I was driving home on Hwy 280 in California
     (the Palo Alto section) where they are in the process of preping for
     paving.  At all the bridges they have used that gouge machine to lower
     the road up to the bridge and in place made a small steep ramp for the
     time being.  The are not marked well and last night I hit one at
     65mph.  It knocked out my alignment I had done on TUESDAY!, probably
     bent my rims and my CD player skipped for about 20sec!  I want to have
     my car re-aligned and my wheel checked/replace where needed, and paid
     for by CALTRANS.  Anyone have experience with this?  Holland?

     Andy Atwell