1999 Jetta: GLS vs. GLX? (WAS: Re: 1999 Jetta SPotted SF)

At 11:29 AM -0400 8/26/98, Sean E. Mulch wrote:
>> New for the 99.5 GLX:
>> automatic climate control
>> wood grain
>> intermittent wipers w/rain sensor
>> 16" wheels
>>
>> and a new option for the GLS --  VR6!!!
>
>I heard that the VR6 was being dropped in favor of the VW/Audi 1.8 liter
>turbo.
>Any idea on price increases.
>If you can get the VR6 on the GLS why pay extra for the GLX?!

Much like the GLS vs. the GLX in the Passat, perhaps it would be:

			GLX			GLS
Wheels			Alloy			Steel, w/ hubcaps
Power Seats		Standard		NA
Elec. Climate Control	Standard		NA
Seats/Doors/Steer Wheel	Leather Standard	Optional/NA
Convenience Package	Sunroof, Tinted Glass	Optional
All Weather Package	Standard		Optional

The difference is about $3000 for the Passat, probably a little less in the
Jetta.

If I had the choice between a VR6 Jetta GLS (that is, a GLS with simply a
VR6 in it) or a VR6 Jetta GLX, I know I'd take the GLX. :)

I think most of us own GLX's for one of two reasons:

1. We couldn't afford a "true" luxury car, such as an Audi A4, or a BMW 325
or 525.
2. We wanted the best performing sport sedan VW had to offer.

That being said, I think most of us in this forum would also choose a 1999
Jetta GLX over a 1999 Jetta GLS.

I happen to fit both profiles. (Please no flames, I'm certain there are
other parties out there with other reasons, I'm simply classifying what I
could reasonably deduce)

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt