RE: Ford: GMs say Pierce no longer untouchable

At 07:19 PM 2/23/2004, R. Singh wrote:
Couldn't agree more with Kim's comments.

Sorry to hear that actually <g>, 'cause I'm going to add...

I was at the game last night and I must say, Pierce has completely given
up on the season.  He ignores the coach during timeouts while his
teammates remain attentive, he's not giving even half effort on defense
and he continues his descent into the selfish basketball hall of fame.
The captain, who is making in excess of thirteen million dollars per
year should not be sulking and setting such a poor example for his young
teammates. What kind of leadership is that?

McCarty has also given up on the season based in the play and off camera
mannerisms I saw last night.  At this point, I wouldn't even play
McCarty given his role player status combined with the fact that he's
just going through the motions.

A few other people have talked of a lot of players giving up on the season and not trying, and I'm not so sure that's accurate. I think the truth is more that they don't know what to do to make things better and they too easily give up and give in to frustrations within each game. They've fallen and can't get up more than fallen and actively wallowing in the mud. And that's where the overall lack of leadership - not finger pointing at Pierce, who simply isn't one but I think is trying according to his own lights to be one - comes in, because there's no one to rally them and provide them with a few clues along with a backbone to replace the one they've lost. Back to Pierce - don't forget that he's had an off season from the beginning, one mass of frustration and trying to figure out his new role. He still hasn't and the one he's been trying to create isn't one that fits him well. The cumulative effect of that could create some of what might appear to be his having given up, when he's just frustrated beyond handling but I think would snap back with enough reason to. McCarty? Well, I've given my opinion of Walter even when things were going well and people were happier with his play. Let's just say that I wish a reportedly very nice man a wonderful musical career, preferably starting tomorrow.

Kim