RE: How to fix our problems

At 08:48 PM 2/23/2004, Enrile, Roy wrote:
Sure, I see where you're coming from.  Yes I've seen a lot Byron's
in-game coaching, but am not conviced he's poor at his job.  His style
is just like Larry (coach of the year) Bird.

Well no, you're assuming it is the same based upon some surface similarities. However, all reports were that Bird was involved and truly in charge, he simply delegated more than most . The question is whether Byron was even that engaged, with reports in the media to go with observations indicating that was a real issue. Also, don't neglect the benefit of having Jason Kidd to run the team on the floor for him, reducing to some degree the amount of hands on coaching competence on his part required.

My main point was I see his Kings/Nets background, and can't think of
anyone available who has more practical experience with Danny's vision.

Sure, but primarily relying on background can be deceiving - look at all the marginal guys who happen to be champions because they were on the right team vs all the great players in any sport with none because they happened to be on bad ones. Byron was only an assistant in Sacramento, with it at least questionable how much credit he should get for NJ. That's not necessarily all that valuable as experience with Danny's vision, which may not be as key as it might appear anyway - Phil Jackson didn't actually play under Tex Winter's triangle offense, but certainly embraced it and got players to do so to great success. While finally, the sort of style that has lead to fairly continual rumblings (albeit not always the same volume) of trouble while Scott has been in NJ doesn't exactly strike me as what is needed here, even if he is in fact coaching genius incarnate. Sorry, but really not interested, with Lakerdom only the least of the reasons.

Kim