Re: Ford: GMs say Pierce no longer untouchable

At 01:57 PM 2/23/2004, Mark Piotrowski wrote:
whoa, mark.  I agree that Pierce seems shaken -- but isn't that
understandable?  To some degree I'd sulk too if I were he -- his best
friends are gone, the team is losing, AND their losing while playing
stiffs like McCarty....losing ugly.  He's probably frustrated like all
of us -- but unlike us this is his life (well it might be our lives too
but that says something sad about us...:)

Oh please. He's also a highly paid veteran supposed professional and needs to grow up and act like one rather than indulging his frustrations if you really think that's what's going on. It's been months since Antoine was traded. I've been in jobs where the company was falling apart, friends gone, etc etc etc and I still did my job the best I could, if for no better reason than personal pride.

...and
he happens to think (rightly so) that the ball in his hands the
majority of the time gives the team the best shot at winning.

Mark, seriously - how on earth, given his ball handling liabilities, very limited court vision, and too often bad decision making (including shot selection) can you say something like rightly so? I mean we've seen the evidence this season when the ball has been in his hands the majority of the time, although the signs were there before. Paul can be a very fine offensive weapon, a reasonable defensive player when he puts in the effort, and is an excellent rebounder. But he does not make those around him better in any way, creates too many unnecessary turnovers and bad shots, and is NOT a playmaker who should control the ball most of the time.

 He might
be playing selfishly right now -- but i think he'll bounce back this
summer, wouldn't you play selfishly if the alternative was giving the
ball to McCarty or Atkins (when he shows up)?

Oh come ON, those AREN'T the only alternatives. Not to mention, MIGHT be playing selfish? Might ?<falls into helpless giggles> Mind you, I think a good part of that comes fro ma mistaken belief that that's the only way to get anything done, but still, MIGHT? And just now, not ever before?

I have a hard time believing that Pierce has really regressed too far
as a player.  I think he's suffering more from the change in
conditions.

That's actually to a large degree true, although we clearly disagree on what he is as a player to have regressed from or how much of the onus is on him to deal better with change.

Kim