Re: Vescey had the truth first

> ---------- Initial message -----------
>
> TRUTH, TRADEWINDS AND BLOWHARDS
>
> By PETER VECSEY
>
> > It's scary how much junk NBA news is
> irresponsibly being churned out every day
(correspondents from ESPN and TNT
> flat out concocted a tale about everybody's favorite
target, Isiah Thomas,
> during the All-Star Game and have yet to issue an
apology) with minus zero
> basis of truth. It's scary because, if suspected
journalists are certified
> fountains of misinformation or regurgitating what
they've glanced at or
> overheard without checking the facts, how much should
we honestly believe
> when reading accounts and descriptions about Iraq,
Afghanistan, Chechnya,
> North Korea, our country's security system, etc. Some
of us have a hard time
> forgetting how many lies we were told regarding
Vietnam. No wonder the public
> is so mistrustful of the media. How can anybody be
expected to have any clue
> what's real in the field unless a particular subject is
their specialty? Not
> that any of this bothers me, I just thought I'd mention
it in passing. *

For fun, I wish someone could compile a list of the last
300 or so trade rumors that Vescey has published. I would
be floored if even 2 or 3 actually proved accurate.

I read the Vescey column as an April Fools joke...all
this high minded stuff about Vietnam, Chechnya and
journalistic ethics. I doubt he's ever shown a hint of
concern about accuracy, when rushing to print any rumor
or player controversy that will sell papers.

No other field of serious journalism would treat that
kind of reporting as acceptable, he's got that much
right.

And no basketball fan cares about Vescey's personal
catfights with ESPN. Its presumptious for him to think
that's what we're all interested in reading. Something
tells me he wrote that column as self-parody ahead of
April Fools. He can't possibly have THAT much chutzpah,
and/or be so devoid of self-awareness.

Just to take a swing at Celtics-related content, I'd say
this about Vescey's Denver trade: the Celtics could use a
second guy back there besides Battie who can step up and
block more than 1 shot per game.

One reason we've gotten mauled on FT attempts and
offensive rebounding is that opponents can roam the paint
with immunity. Its becoming clear that Kedrick isn't
going to be our help defender / shot blocker this year.

(of course it would help even more if the Celtics boxed
out and didn't habitually let teams back into blowout
games by jacking up treys and accumulating lazy team
fouls).

With regard to a Denver trade, its not so much the 1st
round pick as the loss of face to Chris Wallace, which
ought to block this trade from happening. If CW makes
this trade, he's basically handing the owners a very good
reason to fire him. That doesn't seem very smart to me.

p.s. I maintain that Wyc Grousbeck should only fire
Wallace if there is a clear replacement who is likely to
do better. Firing him for the sake of it is just half the
equation. Assuming there's no Bird, and safely assuming
its not Jerry West either, there simply aren't that many
available names with better overall track records out
there than Chris Wallace, assuming the Celtics get into
the second or third round of the playoffs again.

Why guy you could start with is the Phoenix GM just for
drafting Marion and Stoudamire, two guys that many would
have passed on. Have you guys seen Marion's jumpshot?
(Its a disgrace). And he doesn't have the body or height
to be rebounding over 9 per game like he does. And he
came out of a bottom feeding program. Stoudamire was an
undersized and raw athlete who flunked through something
like 160 school systems, and who has a stage mom at least
as scary seeming as LeBron's.

Another guy to look into on this trip is the Warrior's
GM, who drafting behind us got a 17ppg-7 apg point guard
and a double-double power forward out of the 2001 draft.
Gil Arenas would have saved Chris and Leo's job if we
took him with the 21st pick. I honestly didn't expect him
to be that much more advanced in his development than Joe
Forte.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?