Clearing up the Blount rumors

>If this is true,  I guess the BDT is dumber than even I thought possible (I
>wrote when this rumor first surfaced that even the BDT wouldn't be THAT dumb).
>I guess they ARE that dumb. Only the BDT can be talked into treating an asset
>(an expiring contract, such as Kenny's or Shammond's) like a liability. Not
>only does the other team get something (an expiring contract, a pick) for
>nothing (Blount) or a huge liability (Baker), but we pay THEM for taking the
>asset off our hands. It sounds like if Denver hadn't gotten greedy in abusing
>our idiot crew, asking for a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd rounder, the deal
>would already done. It still may, for all we know.  This just reiterates to me
>that it is truly impossible to overestimate the stupidity of the BDT. It just
>boggles my mind, reading about these cretins trying pay someone to relieve us
>of our assets to get something back we got rid of as useless, with a higher
>salary than they were willing to pay the first time around.  I wonder, if they
>waived Baker (who'd be 5th on the center depth chart with Blount aboard) and
>someone was stupid enough to pick him off the waivers, would they trade Waltuh
>and both 1st round picks to get him back?
>Kestas

When I first heard about the possibility of trading Shammond for
Blount -- I almost just gave up.  "How dumb can the BDT get?!!?" i
wondered.

But the problem with folks like Vescey is they try to be imflamatory.
The reality of the situation is (a) I don't think even Wallace is
dumb enough to trade one of our 1st rounders and (b) Blount for
Shammond straight-up doesn't work.  Only the following work (without
us including more players):

1.  Shammond for -- Blount/Chris Anderson/Junior Harrington/Predrag Savovic;

Since Harrington is a starter and Anderson Vandegwe's pet project I
can't see this happening.  Blount, Anderson, & Harrington's contracts
expire at the end of the season so this is basically Savovic, his 31
total points and the year left on his contract for a 2nd round pick.
Yawn.

2.  Shammond for -- Blount/Donnell Harvey

I know I've said this before but man I'd love to have Harvey starting
alongside Walker with Ewill coming off the bench (or Harvey coming
off the bench).  Real GM says he's got 2 years, ESPN reports he's a
free agent.  If he has 2 years, and given the miserable track record
of the BDT's drafting I would throw in the lower of our 2 picks to
get Harvey -- He's as good if not better than whoever the BDT
will/can pick at 18 or whatever.  If he's a free agent see comments
below.

3.  Shammond for -- Blount/Mark Bryant

This is what I've read is really the trade.  Both Blount & Bryant's
contract expire at the end of the year, so this is the ultimate
lateral move (we may actually lose something like 60,000 in caproom
but who cares)....Except that I think Bryant could provide what Long
does now.  When we face Detroit or Indiana in the playoffs I'd rather
have Bryant than Shammond (He went to the playoffs his first 10 years
in the L w/ Portland, Houston & Pheonix before being banished to
Chicago, then Cleveland), however he's on the IR right now with
"strained quadriceps".  Who knows if this is a phantom injury.

If we did Shammond & 2nd Round Pick for Blount & Bryant (and he's
healthy), it really boils down to:

2nd Round Pick & loss of backcourt depth for a 13th player and some
more size.  Given our thin front court and the BDT's bad drafting I
say do it. If it happens fine, if not who cares.

Now if you want to talk about throwing in J. Howard for Vin Baker..... :)

- Mark Piotrowski