Re: Re[2]: The Who Sell out - Complete

>>According to Dave Marsh...
>
>Well, who do we believe? Pete claims that he quit some drugs after the STP
>trip back from Monterey. And Meher Baba was an influence to quit the rest,
>although he says he kept smoking pot longer than the remainder.

Who do I believe? Well, I'd love to be able to believe Pete...since I think
so much of him as a writer and performer. But history teaches us that the
man has been known to make self-serving statements (as well as also being
brutally honest) at times. I'd have to know how important it was for
Townshend to be perceived as "drug free" to know for sure. From the outside,
and since these statements were made within the context of being a Baba
follower, I'd have to say that I doubt he was completely drug free
(especially in light of evidence to the contrary).
And since he was drinking heavily, he wasn't "drug free." Alcohol is
certainly a drug, and a dangerous one at that. The deadliest, according to
the stats.
Not that it matters what he was doing at the time. It's his life, after all.
           Cheers                 ML