Re: Who's Next review

Ian, re:

> 'From Lifehouse To Leeds', the master tapes for which - stolen in the first
place - were negotiated back from the pirates for this release by co-compiler
Chris Charlesworth.

Was this quote from the liner note or from the Record Collector writer's
perspective? The true story on those tapes is that they were thrown out and
someone garbage picked them! They eventually made their way into the hands of
the bootleggers, who then gave them for free to Chris under Pete Townshend's
"no questions asked" return of Who material (Pete is  also paying people for
the return of stuff that has been 'stolen' or 'lost' over the years). The
real fact of the matter, The Who didn't even care about this material at the
time to safe guard it and had it not been for the bootleg, it probably would
have remained lost forever! Unfortunately, a lot more material has been lost
over the years (like ask them where the master tapes to "A Quick One" are or
why they can't get their master tapes for "My Generation" back from Shel
Talmy...) We can also thank the bootleggers for not editing the studio
version of "Baby Don't You Do It" in half, like the one we'll find on "Who's
Next"...

Oh well...

WF <~