Re: What is Walker worth?

<< This raises two questions in my mind.  First, how do you come up with the
figures for salary each year in the above scenario (Steve, I know it isn't
your language.)  If someone signs the mythical $100,000,000 contract, is it
somehow predetermined how that money is spread out over the life of the
contract, or is that up to player and team?>>

Typically, the agent would structure a deal with a base year salary for Year 1
at x number of dollars and bump Year 1 by 20% to arrive at the Year 2 salary,
then bump year 2 salary by 20% to arrive at Year 3 salary etc. through the
life of the contract up through Year 7.

That said, using a hypothetical situation, if Year 1 called for a salary of
$7M, Year 2 would be $8.4M, Year 3 $10.08M, Year 4 would be a shade over $12M,
Year 5 would be $14.4 M, Year 6 would be about $17.2 M, and the final year or
Year 7 would be around $20.6 M.

Total value of this hypothetical contract would be right at $90M over 7-years.

<<Second (and I think I know the answer) are you referring to a bar against
contracts extending past age 35 or 36?  I think there is such a limit so that
teams can't avoid the cap by signing someone to a contract for, for example, a
mil a year for 20 years.  I'd appreciate any clarification on either point.>>

Yes; that is exactly what I am referring to. Currently, a seven year deal
can't extend beyond age 35.