Re: agree and disagree

> Just listen to the post-Keith offerings on Face Dances and It's Hard.
> A huge part of the Who-ness of the music clearly isn't there.

Partly because of Kenny Jones but *mostly* because Pete's songs generally
suck on those two albums.  If those two albums had contained mostly kick-
ass gems from Pete, Kenny wouldn't get half the criticism he does.

> While very entertaining, the unpredictability and improvisational nature
> of pre-1980s Who songs when taken from record to stage doesn't seem to
> be there.  YBYB and ATD and EF, for example, stay very close to the stu-
> dio version with only a few minor variations.

I know what you're saying; those songs don't seem to "grow" when played
live.  They don't become "bigger," more explosive.  Good observation.  But
I don't know if I'd use the fact that they "stay very close to the studio
version" to back-up my argument.  One could argue that "Substitute" & "Pin-
ball Wizard" stay very close to the studio version, as well.  Yet those
songs definitely become bigger when played live.  It's more of a subtle
thing; the feel, the energy,.....the heat, as it were.  Intangibles.

- SCHRADE in Akron