Re:

At 8:46 AM -0800 1/24/2000, Brandon Wilson wrote:
Hey Guys

I have a question? Is there any difference in the engine or gearing, between a 94' Passat GLX (automatic) and a 98' Jetta GLX (manual). The reason I am asking is because I have my Jetta GLX and a friend in Texas said that he rode in a 94' Passat that had the Vr6 in it. He said that it wasn't that fast! I think that my Jetta is very fast!! And I was wondering if there had been any major changes since then to make me think that my car is faster??

I'm no expert, but my first inclination is to say "of course they're different!"

The automatic Jetta GLX and the manual Jetta GLX are probably geared differently. I mean isn't the automatic a 4sp. automatic or a 5 speed manual?

So, the automatic Passat GLX has more in common with an automatic Jetta GLX.

I believe that the Passat GLX (manual) has the same gearing as a Jetta GLX (manual). Except it's pulling much more weight.

The Jetta GLX and the GTI VR6 are identically geared, but the GTI (stock) is barely faster than the Jetta GLX because of weight.

Compare a GTI VR6 to a Corrado VR6, and the Corrado is faster because of more aggressive gearing.

-Khan

Khan Klatt khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc. 888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com 425.519.3741 fax