RE: stock tires do not suck (oh yes they do).

First, how the hell do you do a four wheel drift at 75 mph?

I drive 60 miles each way to work (120 round-trip) every day on from North
of Philly to Newark Delaware on a daily basis.  I have a 100% stock 2000
Jetta VR6 5-spd with the GA's 205/55/R16's.  I usually cruise between 85 and
95mph but have never come close to drifting this thing.

How do you tell the difference between what the chasis is doing and what the
suspension is doing?  I used to drive an 88 Cavalier Z24... it was not very
predictable... you either stuck like glue with no body roll whatsover or the
ass end was GONE if you went in too hot.

I drive about 60,000 miles a year and have been driving fast my entire life,
but I am STILL not very confident taking corners at very high speeds in this
Jetta either due to the chasis or suspension.. not sure which one.  I feel
like if I take an exit ramp too hot or something that the car would roll
over or flip before ANY of the tires would consider sliding or drifting
especially with the ASR turned on.  I do agree with Bill though that hitting
a bump going while going around a corner the car soaks it up really good..
the car feels a bit floaty at 100mph+

and yes... the gas mileage sux bigtime.  I have about 145 miles on the car
by the time I hit half a tank.

I either want to improve my ability to sense what the car is going to do or
do away with the body roll.....  any suggestions?

Seann Dorand
sdorand@lucent.com