Re: stock tires do not suck(oh yes they do)

At 03:58 PM 2/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>The A4s were banned yes, but the only real advantage that they had was that
they
>could pull out of corners harder than everyone else on the field.  In dry
>weather, their advantage was minimal at best.  I can't stress enough how
>important it is that the driver be able to isolate the front of the car from
>rear and do whatever he wished with either end.  With AWD, you are commited to
>driving around the cars characteristics, whereas RWD allows you to put the car
>in any position you want.

?????

>GT2 racing (mainly a Viper vs. Porche battle all year) allows the Porche's to
>use AWD vehicles if they choose since they do come that way from the factory,
>yet every team, including the factory backed efforts, run the RWD versions of
>the cars.  Why do you think that is?

Weight!

>Why is it that today's premeir sports cars use RWD?  Viper, Ferrari,
>Lamborghini, Vette, NSX, Porche (i know they use AWD too, but it's, for the
most
>part, a marketing thing)?

Again Weight!

>Why is it that the fastest forms of racing in the world use RWD exclusively?
>IRL, Cart, NASCAR?

Again Weight, Weight, Weight!

BUT if you go autocross 4WD is the way to go and AUDI has proved it with their
record.

>Anything that makes a car faster means that it makes it accelerate better,
>corner faster, or brake harder.  While these are very much speed factors, they
>are also safety factors.  If AWD was really an improvement over RWD in terms of
>safety, why hasn't any governing racing body made it madatory?
>
>Please don't fall into the hype, drive both types of car on the track and
you'll
>realize how much easier it is to run a RWD car around a track than it is an AWD
>car.  And again, advanced track techniques like throttle steering and
high-speed
>rotations are just NOT POSSIBLE with AWD.
>
>Bill
>'98 GLX

Advanced you say? That's really interesting....all things considered I'll
take Audi 4WD over RWD anyday.

Pax

Dr. Bob