Re: smoking !!!!

From: Robert Slayden <rslayden@skyenet.net>

> When driving normally and then nailing the hammer I'm getting a bit of
smoke
> out the rear.  Valve seals or what.  My car is a 97 GTI Vr6 with a Garrett
> chip, K&N in the box, and I removed the suitcase.(and yeah you lose some
> torque)
> Any ideas, and how long a job is it to change the valve stems or ect?  I
> have a friend that is a porsche/mercedes/ford mechanic, but I don't want
> ask him for help on something that is over his head on the veedub.

There's probably nothing wrong with your engine.  The smoke is unburned fuel
which comes from the G-chip running slightly rich at full throttle.  I'm not
sure if my car still does it, but I do remember it smoking a little when
mashing the throttle after I initially got the chip (version 6, I think -
I'm currently running ver 10).  A lot of cars will do this when floored,
whether chipped or not.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with rich
mixtures having lower combustion temperatures, which is a good thing in a
high compression engine.  It probably helps avoid detonation or something

-Chris