smoking !!!!

Hey everybody,

This has probably been asked, but I haven't been on here too long.
When driving normally and then nailing the hammer I'm getting a bit of smoke
out the rear.  Valve seals or what.  My car is a 97 GTI Vr6 with a Garrett
chip, K&N in the box, and I removed the suitcase.(and yeah you lose some
torque)
Any ideas, and how long a job is it to change the valve stems or ect?  I
have a friend that is a porsche/mercedes/ford mechanic, but I don't want to
ask him for help on something that is over his head on the veedub.

Rob Slayden
97 GTI vr6