Fuel economy

Howdy listers, not to start a new fuel economy war....but I was just
wondering...

-I commute 140 miles per day FREEWAY
-I generally buy premium gas (by the way it's still very
  cheap here...only about $1.00/gal).
-The MFA reads consistently about 23-24MPG irregardless of speed (85 vs.65)

What are your averages and experiences with fuel economy?  Have you made
improvements?  It would be nice to see higher economy out of the awesome
VR6, especially since I don't run it hard very often.

This is a stock GLX with no mods (yet).  I'm sure the K&N
drop in helps, etc.  It's a great car, and I feel like I'm "nit-picking"
but I wanted to throw this out here to find your opinions/experiences, and
what your MFA tells you.

The car is new to me (4 months) and only has 40k on it.  It's my 3rd VW,
and it's an awesome machine.

Thanks, Dave