Stereo?

Heya, everybody,
    I'm looking to put a new head unit in my '95 Jetta GLX -- I've got
the unit already, in my old car (Bronco II).  The people at circuit city
are contractually obligated to take my Pioneer out of the Bronco.  I
thought since I'm an electrical engineer I'd do the VW install myself--I
can work a soldering iron with the best of 'em.  When I asked them if
they had the right wiring harnesses and adapters and such, they fed me a
load of stuff like:
 "I don't think that has a wiring harness"
 "I think the speakers in those cars are individually amplified, you
might want us to do it, since it could be a lot of rewiring"
 "You might have to buy a new CD player to make that work."

And other such crap.  Now I know that some Jettas are like that (with
individually amped speakers, or so I've heard from friends), but how can
I tell if mine is like that?  I don't trust these Circuit Shitty
salesmen any further than I can throw them (can you say "working on
commission"?), and I _will_not_ pay them to do something I can do
myself.  The Bentley manual has been fairly unhelpful in this particular
department.

A little info on my car/stereo:
    --1995 OBDI A3 Jetta GLX
    --It's the standard-issue tape-deck head ("Premium Audio", I think...)
       with cd changer controller (but no CD changer, hence the swap!),
       security code thinger, etc.
    --No speakers in the rear deck
    --One larger speaker in all four doors, near the bottom
    --one tiny speaker in each _rear_ door, near the top, in front
    --two speakers in the dash

I don't mind paying to have the job done well, but I hate to be taken
for a sucker, so anything at all would be great help.

--Mark
'95 J3 GLX Blk/blk