Re: [gti-vr6] Driverfest '99 Goodies Part 2

Arthur Emerson wrote:

> No, I only spit on New Beetles.  After all of the hassles that
> I've had with my A3 thanks to VW, I have joined Chris Franson
> and others in declaring that I will *never* buy another new
> VW/Audi product.  The only thing that they can do to change
> my mind is deliver a GTI GLX 4-Motion to our shores for
> under $22k, and I'd still have to give it serious consideration
> even then.  Pity, since an AWD TT would likely have been my
> next new car.

Jeez, that's a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your
face.  I too swore of VW products for good in '88.  The GTI VR6
got my interest again in '96.  Mine was a good car, flawed as it
was, but it was at least put together fairly well and was quite
reliable.  The Mk4's are another order of magnitude better than
the A3s were over the A2s (I'm talking quality here, not which was
more sporting or that kinda crap).  The world automotive press
is universally praising the TT, and it's an awesome car to look
at in the flesh.  But you're cutting yourself off, just when the
good stuff starts coming on.  I don't understand your logic at
all.  GTI 4-Motion for under $22k?  That's a nice dream but far
from a reasonable expectation, and you know it.

> Chalk it up to VW's last-rate customer service and support.

While far from stellar, there ARE good dealers out there, at least
there are a few out my way.  I wouldn't go near one unless for
warranty or a free oil change anyways.. and the indy shops out
here are excellent.

> At Harrisburg yesterday, I talked three people out of even
> going to an Audi dealer for a TT test drive.  Sorry, but
> my days of being VWofA's good-will ambassador are over,
> and you'd be surprised at how much clout I have being the
> only person campaigning a 1990's VW in a series that they
> used to be the title sponsor of.....

Ok, so don't be a goodwill ambassador.. but you're doing those
people a disservice by talking them out of considering NEW VW/Audi
products based on YOUR negative past experiences.  Can't you see
that??  Please reconsider!

-kc-
'99 GTI GLX
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0