Re: New Jetta Suspension Differences

At 12:01 AM 4/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi.  I've been lurking on this list ever since I decided
>to get a new car.  Having owned a VW Cabriolet for the
>past 13+ years & 180k miles, I thought a new Jetta was
>the most likely car in my future.  However, I've driven
>a new Jetta GLS 2.0L and I was not impressed with the
>handling (nor with the engine, but that can be remedied
>by a VR6).  Because the VR6 models are so rare here in
>New Hampshire, I haven't been able to drive a GLS VR6
>or a GLX.  I would appreciate a comparison of the
>suspensions in the GLS VR6 and the GLX vs. the GLS 2.0L.
>Also, can anyone compare the GTI suspension to the
>Jetta GLS 2.0L?

That's like comparing apples to oranges.

>I'd like to stay with VW, but if I can't find something
>with better handling than the Jetta GLS 2.0L, I may have
>to look elsewhere.  (I know I could do a suspension
>upgrade, but the cars are expensive enough already.)

Yes you would but then it wouldn't be a Volkswagen would it?
If you don't understand that you might as well buy a Toyota or Honda.
Wait for the 1.8 Turbo, it will blow your socks off with a minor
chip change and suspension tweaks. Add all wheel drive and things
could get really interesting.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Keith D. Kotay
>Ph.D. Candidate
>Dartmouth College
>kotay@cs.dartmouth.edu
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~kotay

and to think I thought I was the only one here with a Ph.D. and MBA on this
list.

Dr. Bob