Re: 1998 Jetta GLX

At 6:28 PM -0700 4/19/99, David Hughes wrote:
>I recently bought a 1998 GLX (black leather interior) and am interested in
>changing it's appearance some.  It is tornado red with a roof/bike rack.
>
>I was thinking about tinting the back windows with a metallic charcoal tint
>and the front 2 windows with a 40% tint.  The other possibility was to put a
>"visor" on the front windshield.
>
>I am hoping that someone on this list has some ideas for me and perhaps some
>insight to how they believe the bright red car would look with the tinted
>windows... I also want some other ideas to make my GLX look even better.
>
>Please let me know. I just joined the list so probably have missed some good
>ideas but would enjoy reading them.

Something that helps the jetta stand out is to paint the calipers. On your
car, red would look pretty cool. Other things you can do to improve the
appearance is to get a better suspension which lowers the car maybe an inch
or two. This is typically a situation of personal taste, but I think
upgrading the suspension is the best performance modification, and it gives
you an opportunity to lower the suspension a little. I did the Nuespeed
SofSport suspension, which improves handling, and lowers about an inch to
an inch and a half on average.

Finally, you can move from the 15" wheels to 16" or 17" wheels, but that
means new tires too, and you didn't mention a budget.

My next step is to paint my calipers (if I can find those instructions that
Jeff Newton posted a while back) and maybe buy new tires, if not tires &
wheels.

-Khan