RE: DAmmit : Part II

At 12:04 PM -0700 9/4/98, FlyinVR6 wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that there is that much of a difference between the computer and the speedo needle. I'm thinking that the computer is lower due to the fact that it is programmed to take the average mph of your drive time. I know that you're thinking..."Well if I'm going a constant 70, then the computer average should be 70 too...." Maybe, maybe not. If you closely watch your speedo during cruise control, it does NOT stay at a constant speed. It will drop off 3-5mph every now and then before the engine kicks in to maintain the proper setting. Also, if u think about it......having 66 displayed on your computer while your speedo is reading 70 is a huge difference at that speed. That means when you're doing 35mph, you're actually doing 33mph. That's too big a margin of error for me to believe with all the technology we have packed in our cars these days. I don't know enough about the on-board diagnostics of our cars to give any technical info to support my idea, but it just sounds too funky to me.

I have done my own tests, which include driving next to a Jeep Grand Cherokee while on a cell phone to my friend.

He was going 65mph on cruise control. When I set my cruise control to 65 on the speedo, he left me behind. Then I caught up to him, and matched speed manually, and set the cruise so we're staying at the same speed together, and these were the results:

His speedo: 65 mph
My speedo: 68 mph
My MFA Average: 65 mph

Our speedometers are off by a little margin, between 2-4 mph between 30-75 mph.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green