RE: DAmmit : Part II

OK, I don't have any definitive proof of this, just passing along what I
read--the MFA and speedo are reading from different sources. The MFA uses a
sensor at the wheel (measures something like every 1/4 turn of the wheel),
while the speedo takes its reading from an electronic sensor somewhere in
the tranny area. Why the speedo sensor is located by the tranny is a
complete mystery to me. Why VW uses two different sensor readings is a
complete mystery to me. My only guess is that, like some other car
maufacturers, VW intentionally makes the speedometer readings a little high,
just to avoid complaints. What I do know for sure is that there have been
plenty of reports stating that the MFA is indeed accurate, showing your true
speed, while the speedo gauge is slow by about 4%. So, if Flyin's GLX was
totally stock and indicated 144 mph, with the 4% error actual speed was 138.
Still higher than the published top speed limiter though....

Kevin Ng
97 GLX Windsor Blue