Re: tire size/stock rim - in response to Stewart

Stewart,

     With all due respect, I think you've got it all mixed up.  The
205/215/195 etc. designation refers to the width of the tire, not the
height.  The 55/50/45/40 etc. designation refers to the "height" (i.e.
profile).

You wrote "If you want better handling with your current rim, try 195's
(i think).  This will, however, make your car look like it has donuts
for wheels."

     If you keep a 15" rim and switch to 195's, keeping the height of
the tire the same, they will just look really thin from behind, but they
won't look greatly different from the side (i.e. they'll be almost as
tall as the 205's).  I don't see how 195's will make the wheels look
like "donuts."

     Here's the bottom of it (from what I understand):

A 215/55 tire is wider than a 205/55, which is wider than a 195/55.  A
215/55 will be slightly taller than a 205/55 (because even though the
profile designation is the same, it varies slightly according to the
width designation).  Similarly, a 205/55 will be slightly taller than a
195/55.  However, being that the profile designation is the same, the
"tallness" difference is negligible.

     You also wrote, "Oh, and a larger rim provides for more tire tread
on the ground, due to a larger diameter."  Not true at all.  The contact
patch for a 17" rim / tires vs. the contact patch for 15" rim / tires,
with width being constant, is almost the same.  The contact patch varies
with width, not height.

Eric Wang
1994 Black Vento VR6 -- Eibach Pro-Kit, Remus cat-back exhaust, Autotech
Q-Chip, K&N drop-in filter, Mintex Redbox pads