Re: Dreams of AutoBahn(long)

Interesting view point Adam,

I myself drive fast most of the time, given the conditions.  I live in Ca
and when I drive to go see my parents, I drive on some rural country
roads, and often drive 100+ mph, and driving those speeds are
quite normal for me.  It all comes down to that in my feelings that
most people drive the limit, or when they feel a little rebelious may
drive 80 mph on the highway, but as a norm they are not used to
the physics of driving fast and in control, and how to see that much
farther ahead to accomodate for the speeds.  I developed those over
time because I do drive fast on a regular basis, and I did take driving
lessons at Bob Bondurant, which taught me those skills.  I drive
approximately 20-25,000 miles per year and have no accident yet,
though speeding tickets is another story.

Now as far as Europe, many roads mainly Germany are made alot better
than american roadways, that last longer and are smoother, thicker
pavement, and wider...The roadways are made for fast driving, off-ramps,
on-ramps, etc. so it is much easier for faster driving.  People know when
to move over, when there is a fast approaching auto, and unlike CA
if you flash your beams they get all pissed off, and start messing around
which is dangerous.  I think European driving involves more etiquette,
where flashing lights, and signals, honking mean a whole different
thing than just "Move outa my way shit head"

I have seen many wicked accidents in Europe, and it does seem like
if you get in an accident you die because of the higher speeds, I have
many relatives that have died because of an auto accident, and they
have friends and family that have died the same death.  Most of them
were due to excessive speeds given the conditions, and the conditions
can include other drivers that are careless, or just driving the same.
Well thats my shpeel, and viewpoint, opinion, or what ever you want
to call it.  I just wanted to add my 10cents worth.......Thanks!

Talat
97 GLX
Blk/Blk