Re: What's the correct viscosity for synthetic oil in a GLX

At 06:07 PM 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been following every oil thread in the list for the past few months
>and
>have a few questions of my own ....
>I own a Black GLX VR6 (all stock accept for the tinted lights and
>headlight covers, which do make the car go faster !) and up here
>in Canada you can expect the engine temperatures to run
>205 - 240.   I've had one oil change already and had the dealer
>put in the synthetic oil ... I've noticed a slight decrease in engine
>temps, about 5 degrees.  I believe they used castrol 15w50 ... but
>I'm wondering what would is the best synthetic oil viscosity for the
>winter, can you run a 10w/30 synthetic oil in the winter, how long
>should you (or can you) wait between oil changes .....
>
>Thanks ....
>
>Thomas Muller
>Oakville, Ont - Canada
>98' Black GLX VR6
>No Mods

Thomas,

I have been using Castrol Syntex 5W-50 all year for the last 3 1/2 years in
New York.
This included 2 very cold winters a while back with no problems.  The upper
cylinder head
stays well lubed with Syntex. You really notice it in the winter when you
get a lot of valve tap on cold winter mornings with regular oil, but not
with the Syntex.
I change filter and all every 3 months or 3500 miles. I know it can go
longer on the Syntex
but that's just the way I always treat my VW engines and in return I've
gotten excellent
performance and longivity with the engines.

Bob