Thermostat/fan probs?

Basic question: If there were problems with the thermostat controlled fan,
would I get a warning of some kind?

Here's what I'm worried about: ever since my dad's Jetta in 1987, I've
been quite familiar with the thermo fan that goes off after you stop.
So that didn't freak me out.  But now I've noticed something different,
only recently.

Instead of a low fan sound with a sound of air, there is a much louder
sound that sounds like a old dustbuster.  I haven't heard this sound
before.

Now admittedly, until recently I was living in a condo complex with this
car, and with the car park so far away then I may not have noticed
this sound if it is cold-weather behavior.  However, I don't recognize
it, and since I hear something like a motor spinning without any sort of
"fan" sound, I'm a bit concerned, especially as it seems to start up for
no reason - maybe even 30 mintues after I've shut the car off.

If anyone can offer any advice from this weak discription, pls. let me
know.

Thanks,
John

--
John A. Kilpatrick                        Systems/Network Administrator
kilpatri@sgi.com                       Silicon Graphics Inc., Team TREX