Proper Wire Guage References

I know that this is delayed in time, but I've been thinking about this for a
while.

On somebodies question about installing an amp, someone stated that they used
a 4 guage wire to install and that there will be no problem using the 8 guage
wire that the person had.  To my knowledge, when you are talking about wire
guages, there is an inverse relationship between guage number and actual wire
diameter.  Hence an 8 guage wire is actually thinner than a 4 guage wire.  I
know this seems minor, but I wouldn't want the person installing the amp to
use a wire that is not sufficient and cause major amp/electrical problems.

If I am incorrect in my knowledge of guages, please correct me (as I'm sure
somebody will if I'm wrong) so I know better in the future.

Chuck Marshall
'98 GLX