Re: Proper Wire Guage References

At 10:42 AM 1/25/98 EST, Bunmar wrote:
>I know that this is delayed in time, but I've been thinking about this for a
>while.
>
>On somebodies question about installing an amp, someone stated that they used
>a 4 guage wire to install and that there will be no problem using the 8 guage
>wire that the person had.  To my knowledge, when you are talking about wire
>guages, there is an inverse relationship between guage number and actual wire
>diameter.  Hence an 8 guage wire is actually thinner than a 4 guage wire.  I
>know this seems minor, but I wouldn't want the person installing the amp to
>use a wire that is not sufficient and cause major amp/electrical problems.
>
>If I am incorrect in my knowledge of guages, please correct me (as I'm sure
>somebody will if I'm wrong) so I know better in the future.
>
>Chuck Marshall
>'98 GLX

Chuck,

You are correct in stating the inverse relationship of wire gauges.  There
is actually wire called 0 (zero) gauge which is thicker than 4 gauge.  For
a two amplifier configuration up to about 500-600 watts or so , 4 gauge
will do just fine.  They say it's always good to have more wire to pass the
current than not enough.  I ran 4 gauge in 98 GTI VR6 with no problem to a
200 watt Alpine amp.  I forget if you mentioned you were doing it yourself
but just a tip:  Never run signal (speaker/ RCA) and power wires on the
same side of the car, it creates noise; and always fuse properly within 18"
of the amp and then again before the amp (maybe overkill...) Always ground
the amp with similar or greater thickness wire than what's going into the
amp.

- -PJ

98 Black/Black GTI VR6