Re: Suspension Impessions, and other questions...

On Apr 2, 11:21am, ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:
>      How did you remove the snorkel from your airbox?  I have
>      tried, but just short of breaking it or cutting, I haven't been able
>      to remove it.  A little louder than stock appeals to me.

I attempted removing it on probably half a dozen different occasions, and gave
up each time, b/c I was afraid of breaking something.  But eventually, I got it
to come out.  It pops out from the inside out (towards where there air-intake
attaches to the box).  I used a LONG, SKINNY flat-head screwdriver to kind of
pry the tube from the top, to make sure it wasn't glued or attached somehow.
 Then, I squirted some liquid soap (as a lubricant) around the space between
the snorkel and the top, and then with a lot of cussing and scraped knuckles,
it finally popped out!  (BTW:  Clean up the liquid soap before re-installing
the airbox.)

>      If you do
>      springs, and S&S you should really add an upperstrut tie bar in the
>      front,

I plan on doing that relatively soon, anyway.  (Before my
shocks/struts/springs.)

>      I haven't autocrossed, I live in Northern Californian and most races are
>      quite a drive to get to, between work and my girlfriend, I haven't
>      gone to one.  I assume that once I tried it I would be hooked.  I have
>      a feeling though that the mods I have would bump me into a class that
>      I would not be good enough to compete in, but the car sure is fun on
>      the road, especially since I live just under the Santa Cruz mountains
>      and the curvies are just a short drive away.

Yes, you are blessed in that part of the country with the roads. ...As far as
autocross, stock class allows relatively few mods:  You can modify the air
intake.  You can change the shocks/struts, but not the springs.  You can add
the strut-tie bar.  Not sure about sway bars...  I'd have to check the rules..
 Once you're out of stock, then you go to street-prepared, then prepared, then
modified...  I'm trying to do all I can, and still stay in stock!

David