Re: Clutch moaning sound

On Apr 2,  3:31pm, Vojin Janjic wrote:
> Subject: Clutch moaning sound
> Andrew wrote:
>
> >     intermitant, I took it to the dealer and got the ever popular "unable
> >     to reproduce at this time"
>
> This is really funny/sad - since the above line seems to be a favorite for
> services nationwide.
>
> Here's a sad service example: I reported that brake (fluid) light came on
> during hard cornering (on an interstate ramp) and I also had problems with
> alignment.

Yes, I must agree, dealership service is THE WORST!  My advice is find an
independent mechanic who specializes in VW's, who you trust and is honest.
 After having MANY MANY MANY problems with the TWO dealers here, I finally took
my car to an independent VW/Audi/Porsche mechanic who's into restoration,
racing, and basically going fast! ...He has been able to solve problems the
dealer "couldn't reproduce", and he's given me free advice.  Plus, he's much
cheaper than the dealer....

Furthermore, I've begun taking classes towards my own ASE certification.  Not
as a career move - I'm an engineer (HOW BORING!) - but out of interest! ...I've
had several people in my classes who work at different local dealerships.  Some
of them have failed, while some others have blatantly demonstrated their
"typical dealership practices" in our shop.  (For example:  when putting the
head back on a Toyota in the class, a guy WHO WORKS AT THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP
refused to use the torque wrench to torque the bolts properly.  When I finally
convinced him to take the time to use the torque wrench, he accidentally
dropped one of the bolts on the floor.  When I went to pick it up, he said, "Oh
don't worry about it, just leave it."  Then he told me that I'd never make it
as a mechanic, b/c time is money, and I was just wasting time by doing it
right.)

Another thing:  When I was having driveability problems at about 30k miles, the
dealer said, "could not reproduce problem".  Then, I showed him the sparks
arching between my spark plug wires and the engine block.  ("YOU DIDN'T SEE
THAT?!?!)  He replaced them.  But only AFTER I made the diagnosis.

<<OK.  Off soap-box.>>

BTW:  The brake light coming on intermittently:  Make sure your brake fluid
reservoir is filled to the MAX line.  The switch in there is WAY sensitive.  I
had the same problem...  I think someone wrote about that earlier.  Maybe it
was you?.....

Sorry to be so long-winded,
David