Carroll is an idiot

I don't want to stray from the central theme, which should be that Carroll is an idiot ...

I'm not even going to go off on his Brandon Hunter abuse this time, it's just his total lack of any substitution pattern whatsoever, especially in the second halves of games. When the Celtics won, it was written off as "smart coach sticking with the hot hands" ... but how should it be described when they get crushed with the same "I'm sleeping but my eyes are propped open" approach?

The idiot made one substitution the entire second half (Ricky Davis in for a red-hot Jiri) until the game was way, way out of reach with 3 1/2 minutes left. Other coaches in history have noticed that some players get fatigued when never coming out (especially against teams that run all the time), but apparently the Celtics are ironmen and their top five are of such quality that no reserve can do them justice.

Not so John Carroll. He put Walter McCarty in with four minutes gone in the first quarter and left him in until the damage was complete, 41 consecutive minutes. With the Celtics getting absolutely murdered on the boards (their m.o. before Brandon Hunter got his short-lived burst of playing time), Walter stayed in, powering for six points, five fouls and four rebounds. The idiot had the unmitigated gall to complain to the sideline reporter at the half that, hey, we're getting killed on the boards ... THEN DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. Seven minutes for Hunter, six for Mihm, and that includes the final 3:30 of garbage time.

If Carroll wants to play a small forward at power forward, then stick Ricky, Pierce and Jiri all in the lineup at the same time. Each one of them is a better passer, rebounder, scorer and defender than Walter, height be damned.

Did I mention that the Celtics have to play again against the Spurs 24 hours later? Sure hope Walter is fresh.

STEVE