Re: WOW

Some thougths from watching last nights game -- excuse my mild case of hyperbole....

* Just how fun was it to watch the C's score 40 points in the 1st quarter alone? I thought i was going to explode. This is the kind of team Ainge is trying to put together. Just for comparison's sake -- the Washington/Toronto game was on another TV and with 7:31 to go in the 4th quarter (2 1/2 more quarters), Toronto had scored all of 59 points, Washington 60. With the next 4 games against Tor (x2), Orl and Was -- i'd like to see us make a push toward getting back in the playoffs.

* Hunter -- "wow" is exactly how I was going to put it. I went to watch the first game of the Chuck Atkins era and was pleasantly rewarded with Hunter's first career start. Not that Ainge will get any credit for drafting him, but can we really underestimate how big Hunter could be for this team? He is EXACTLY what this team has been missing since...heck Dina Radja? A true rebounder and demon in the paint. He was a monster on the boards -- and while they may not be the best defensive team in the league the Bucks are a good rebounding team. When was the last time you were impressed by HOW someone rebounded. The one handed rebounds -- esp. the one off PP's free throw miss -- were eerily reminiscent of Rodman. 2 other things that don't show up in the boxscores -- and which lead me to believe that Hunter may just be scratching the surface:

1. Even when he didn't get the rebound -- there were at least 2 instances when he went to get it and Pierce or Blount or Mihm ended up with it -- he was in the right position for it, he always seemed to be around the ball. That is what Rodman was so good at: anticipating where the ball would come off and being there.

2. He LOVED being in the paint. Even when Antoine was averaging 10 rebounds a game -- which i think he could for his whole career if he just decided/accepted that's where he's most valuable -- he didn't seem to have that attitude that great post players have. That nasty streak, that desire to get down there and mix it up.

I really don't care if he misses every free throw (at least in the short term), if he throws his body around like he did last night we're going to be a much better team. And Hunter is hungry.

* Atkins -- Mark B. hit the nail on the head "a good point guard makes everyone better". Atkins is not going to ever make the all-star team but he's a clear upgrade *as a point guard* over James/Delk/Bremer. The 40 point first quarter was his and Hunter's doing. Atkins was looking to run at every opportunity and his passing seemed to be rubbing off -- maybe it could be a Jason Williams-lite (c. 1999 Sacramento) effect where b/c Jwill was always looking to make that pass everyone else does. Like Hunter, Chucky seemed to be in the right place after every rebound -- free throw line extended, calling for the ball, ready to run.

This game reminded me of the mid-season debut of another #7 -- Kenny Anderson. That year the C's seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear and Anderson came in that first game and ran, ran, ran. Of course he stopped soon after, but that first game the C's seemed to be playing at a different speed. That C's team i saw last night wasn't the same one that left for the road trip.

I was thinking before the game, and still hold out hope, that Atkins could be our new Eric Wiliams. While its hard for a new guy to take on that role, Atkins seemed last night to relish being a leader. Some of it may be trying to make a good first impression, but I think he's got a little Darrell Armstrong spark in him (who he backed up as a rookie). And don't think Atkins is a Mike James-type journeyman. After being a key part (as a rookie) of Doc Rivers' first Orlando team, the one that made (or almost made) the playoffs only to be dismantled for McGrady + HIll -- he was traded to Detroit and led his first 2 Pistons teams to the playoffs. He lost his starting job when the Pistons got Billlups relatively cheaply.

Like Anderson, he's not a great defender, but this team needs passing, pushing the ball, and leadership from the PG position, not necessarily all-NBA defense.

* I thought Pierce looked good in the first half, but regressed a little later in the game (when Atkins and esp. Hunter looked a bit winded). I agree again with Mark that one of the most disturbing things was when Pierce would be the only one not giving the ball up quickly to Atkins after a rebound -- sometimes choosing to go down the court on his own. I can only hope that this is a bad habit developed under Obie's system (start Jim Mora voice: "Point Guards? Point Guards? We don't need no Point Guards!" </jim mora>) that allowed, encouraged him and Walker to do that. I hope that Pierce is smart enough and will set aside his stubborness to see that if he gives it up to Atkins, he'll get it back -- if not that possession, then one soon after when someone else rebounds it.

* Mihm -- i hope that Hunter's emergence (and minutes) doesn't come at the expense of Mihm. I still think Mihm can be an important part of this team. I thought i was going to jump over the bar when he had that slam dunk on the pick and roll with Atkins (or was it Davis?)

* Speaking of Davis -- lost in the Atkins, Hunter talk was his quiet but solid line:

9 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and only 2 turnovers.

It looks like -- in the limited time I've seen him play -- that he can get that pull-up 15 foot foul-line shot anytime he wants (and make it just as often as not) b/c of his speed, threat to get to the hoop and elevation. He just seems to stop on a dime while driving jump a foot higher than his defender and wait till he has a good look in mid-air to shoot it. Mark me down as one who believes the starting lineup for the last 23 games should be:

Atkins / Pierce / Davis / Hunter / Mihm

I think Welsch would be a great anchor for the 2nd unit and I'd really like to see what Pierce and Davis could do together for a while.

(the) other