It's only one game...

A few longer term implications from last nights game -- i know, i know
that's where the title of the email came from.

*  Blount -- wayray recently pointed out that one of Ainge's mistakes
was not trading Blount since he's going to leave in the summer.  At the
begining of the season i was more worried of losing him, now i can
totally live with it -- esp if Hunter keeps it up.  In fact i found
myself thinking about who we might be able to sign-and-trade Blount
for.  He'll want more than we should pay him -- since on any good team
he should be a solid backup, not starter.  And Ainge should really go
with at LaFrentz/Mihm/Perkins rotation next year anyways.  Any ideas on
who might be in the market for Blount?  Dallas, Golden St., Indiana?
Could we sign-and-trade him back to denver for a signed-and-traded
Rodney White?  I'd still like to see a hard push for Z. Randolph...

* Brent Barry -- I know its only one game but if Atkins is the real PG
we've been looking for, where would Brent Barry play?  While I agree
(again) with Mark B. that you still hve to look for upgrades, if Atkins
can play close to this way every night why would we need to spend the
MLE on Barry?  Given that Atkins is on for 2 more years and you want
Banks to get at least 10-12 mins a game, would Barry end up taking
minutes away from Welsch?  Davis?  More and more i'd like to stay away
from Barry.  I'd much rather add depth at the 4 and 5 -- in fact at
this point I'd rather take a gamble on McDyess (who when healthy can be
a superstar) or Stro Swift, than a decent player like Barry.

* While some fans -- though few on this list, where we've been
virtually chanting "Hunter, hunter" since the season began -- will ask
"where did hunter come from?" it points to one of Obie's biggest
weaknesses:  Rotations and not playing rookies.  O'Brien was great at
getting the max out of his top 7 or 8 players, but he also didn't mind
-- and was very explicit about preferring to -- sacrificing the long
term (letting players like Hunter get 5-10 mins/game) for short term
success (some supposed 2 or 3 more wins by having Walker and Pierce
play 41 mins and playing McCarty, Ewill and Blount so much).

To this point, there is a TERRIFIC part of David Aldridge's latest
column about Hubie Brown's 10-man rotations, especially, this quote
from Hubie (see end for full article):

> "We win (recently), and a guy comes in and goes, 'Boy, you guys are
> really deep. You have 10 guys,' " Brown said. "I said, 'You know why
> we're deep? Because we play them.' Everybody's got them, but you've
> got to play them. I mean, there are all kinds of kids sitting on
> benches, eight (through) 12. And that's my thing when I do clinics for
> coaches: What are you doing for players nine, 10, 11 and 12? What are
> you doing for them?"

I hope Ainge understands this and will look for a coach who agrees.

(the other) Mark

Hubie's 10 Commandments -- from D.A.'s article:

When Hubie Brown broke into the NBA in 1973, his first job was as an
assistant in Milwaukee. The Bucks had a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and
an old Oscar Robertson, and Bob Dandridge, and Lucious Allen, and Jon
McGlocklin. They were loaded. And so, they didn't go very deep into
their bench.

"Players nine, 10, 11 and 12 were (ticked) off every day," Brown
recalled. "Every day. And so you'd come to practice. And Larry
(Costello) would say -- Larry was a great coach -- he'd say 'All right,
you take care of those four guys.' "

 From that came the roots of Brown's philosophy, which is to play just
about everyone he has in uniform on a given night. And it's no
different three decades later in Memphis, where Brown's Grizzlies go 10
deep just about every night and wear down the opposition. Brown did it
in Kentucky with the ABA Colonels, and in Atlanta with the Hawks, and
in New York with the Knicks.

"Playing that amount of guys, what you're saying is, OK ,we might be
young, we might be inexperienced, but we're going to give you more
energy in that 48 minutes most nights," Brown said. "And if our style
is forcing turnovers, blocking shots, and steals ... that takes energy
on a nightly basis. So by playing guys and then letting them develop,
you develop a talent base. So now when you call to make a trade, you
know if those guys can play or not. Today, with the salary cap thing,
you want to get into as many two for ones, three for twos (trades),
because people know that the kids can play."

No one plays more than 32 minutes a game. Basically, you play up to
eight minutes at a crack, and you come out. Seven players have played
in 50 or more games this season, and it's really more than that; Bonzi
Wells has been on the floor every night since he came from Portland,
and only injuries have limited Jason Williams to 47 games.

But it wasn't an easy sell.

"It was tough at first," forward James Posey said. "You come in and
you're right back out. But while you're in there you just have to be
productive, do your job. If you do that, things will come. It's not
going to change, so just accept it and do your job."

When Posey was signed by Memphis to an offer sheet in the summer, he
figured he was going to get to hoist a lot of shots.

"Honestly, I did start out like that," he said. "I'm like, man, I'm
going to be here so long. But I was still getting familiar with the
system. Now I understand where my shot is going to be coming from and
the flow of the offense. It's a lot easier. It's not necessarily about
the shots, but just trying to be productive while you're in there."

The other players say pretty much the same. It's like they're the
Stepford Grizzlies. But when you've already set a franchise record for
wins, and the playoffs are in sight, you tend to drink the Kool-Aid.
Brown has gotten them to accept his edict: Team success ultimately
begats individual success. And if there's an injury in the playoffs,
instead of throwing an unproven body out there, you can rely on someone
that's played all season long.

"We win (recently), and a guy comes in and goes, 'Boy, you guys are
really deep. You have 10 guys,' " Brown said. "I said, 'You know why
we're deep? Because we play them.' Everybody's got them, but you've got
to play them. I mean, there are all kinds of kids sitting on benches,
eight (through) 12. And that's my thing when I do clinics for coaches:
What are you doing for players nine, 10, 11 and 12? What are you doing
for them?"

And the Logo would really like to get rookies Dahntay Jones and Troy
Bell on the floor.