Re: WOW

One other thing to go with the ones you listed - yes, he missed too many FT, but don't neglect the simple fact that he drew the fouls in the first place (and despite his banging, without getting a lot of stupid fouls himself a la Mihm)and through tough inside play. That can in itself change things, by forcing line up changes and discouraging the other team from thinking they own our paint (which can help open things for other guys). That's invaluable and one of the little things we've lacked for years, more so since the EWill trade.
Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Piotrowski <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 26, 2004 11:10 AM
To: Celtics <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WOW

<snip>
* Hunter -- "wow" is exactly how I was going to put it.  I went to
watch the first game of the Chuck Atkins era and was pleasantly
rewarded with Hunter's first career start.  Not that Ainge will get any
credit for drafting him, but can we really underestimate how big Hunter
could be for this team?  He is EXACTLY what this team has been missing
since...heck Dina Radja?  A true rebounder and demon in the paint.  He
was a monster on the boards -- and while they may not be the best
defensive team in the league the Bucks are a good rebounding team.
When was the last time you were impressed by HOW someone rebounded.
The one handed rebounds -- esp. the one off PP's free throw miss --
were eerily reminiscent of Rodman. 2 other things that don't show up in
the boxscores -- and which lead me to believe that Hunter may just be
scratching the surface:

1.  Even when he didn't get the rebound -- there were at least 2
instances when he went to get it and Pierce or Blount or Mihm ended up
with it -- he was in the right position for it, he always seemed to be
around the ball.  That is what Rodman was so good at: anticipating
where the ball would come off and being there.

2.  He LOVED being in the paint.  Even when Antoine was averaging 10
rebounds a game -- which i think he could for his whole career if he
just decided/accepted that's where he's most valuable -- he didn't seem
to have that attitude that great post players have.  That nasty streak,
that desire to get down there and mix it up.

I really don't care if he misses every free throw (at least in the
short term), if he throws his body around like he did last night we're
going to be a much better team.  And Hunter is hungry.
<snip>