Re: WOW

Let me preface this by saying it was against the Bucks, one of the worst
defensive teams in the league ...

... Chucky Atkins ... Chucky played well, but I think it's just as much
a case of a veil being lifted. I think a lot of fans have been
underestimating just how bad the point guard play on this team has been.
James and Banks have been awful. Chucky did all the little things a
point guard should do. You wonder why some of us have been harping on
the point guard position for so long ... this is why. A good point guard
makes everyone better. A bad point guard makes it harder for everyone.
Having said that, Chucky, based on this game, is a much better point
guard than I thought. If he plays like that all the time, the position
is in good hands for the next two seasons (although you still have to
look for upgrades). The contrast last night when Chucky was in the game
and when Banks was in the game was dramatic.

... Brandon Hunter ... It had gotten to the point that I'd started to
question what I was seeing with Brandon. I mean, the guy was shining
every time he got a limited chance, yet he still couldn't crack the
rotation when the team was DESPERATE for a power forward. So, I started
to think he must be lousy in practice. He must show in practice that
he's just not good enough. Well ... I think last night laid that thought
to rest. How could they not play this guy sooner???? He has done it in
every limited appearance, he did it in an extended appearance last
night, so I have to assume he's doing it in practice. How could they let
him sit there while this team was outrebounded time and again??? Anyway
... I loved the way he played. He's the kind of guy who can have an
impact on a game without ever having a play run for him. He rebounds, he
runs the floor, he works hard defensively, and he finishes around the
basket when he gets his chances. Now, Brandon, just calm down and hit
those free throws.

... Paul Pierce ... Pierce looked better in the first half, when the
ball was in Chucky's hands most of the time. Of course, he reverted to
form in the second half. I'm sure everyone noticed the key possession in
the game (in my opinion), when Pierce (who had hit a quick three moments
earlier) grabbed the defensive rebound and started down the court, with
Chucky begging for the ball right in front of him. Pierce refused to
give it up, drove the length of the floor and hoisted a three without
ever passing the ball. It missed. The Celts were down by two at the
time. Then he committed that terrible offensive foul for his sixth foul.
Where is his head?

... Mark Blount ... Blount has been terrible lately, but he came to play
last night. Strong game.

... Overall ... Everything was better last night. They were organized. A
lot of the credit for that has to go to Chucky. When he was in there,
they played with a purpose. If the team hits some free throws, they get
a nice win.

... Opponent ... I say this every time we play one of his teams, but I
love Tony Kukoc. What a wonderful player. We talk about high draft picks
and all of the highly rated Euro prospects. In my dream world, the
Celtics come away with a Kukoc clone - a 6-11 guy who can dribble, pass,
shoot and rebound and thinks the game like a coach (like a real coach -
not Obie or Carroll).

Mark