Re: Don't get the detractors

--- lapdoggy <lapdoggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know too many employer's that would be
> willing to let an
> employee, whom has no intention of staying on with
> the company, let
> stick around.

Then you obviously haven't been with too many
companies.  Often, when older employees are being
'downsized' or their positions consolidated, they are
asked to stay on for 6 months to a year so as to train
the newer, cheaper employees and to maintain company
continuity.  While some older employees, feeling they
aren't shown enough respect, balk at this opportunity
to make a few more dollars and maintain the level of
proficiency they achieved in whatever department they
are leaving and helped to create, most do stay on.
O'Brien proposed essentially the same thing; but the
owners or Danny wanted to break from all that O'Brien
had built and now they are paying the price for it.
Being the succesful businessmen they are, they should
have seen the resulting collapse coming.

> It's hardly macho to tell an employee to hit the
> road when he tells his
> boss that he can't work for him anymore. (Especially
> when he's getting
> paid 3 million a year.)
> Obie quit on the team. I can't see how you can argue
> that. He didn't
> like what Danny was doing so he quit. Plain and
> simple. Why in the hell
> would you want him to stick around if he has no
> emotional investment in
> the team?

It may be a small semantic difference, but O'Brien
CONDITIONALLY quit on the team; the condition being
that it wasn't effective until the end of the season.
I have no doubt he would have been able to maintain
his emotional investment until the end of the season.
Furthermore, by offering to stay on till the end of
the season, he may have been more motivated to perform
well so as to secure his next job.  And who knows,
maybe he has a change of heart and stays on.  All I
know is that O'Brien offered to leave at the end of
the year, something that would have benefitted the
C's, both in terms of getting a better coach in here
(in terms of philosophical inclination) and in terms
of finishing this season properly.  The C's
management, on the other hand, pridefully declined the
coach's offer and told him he wasn't needed.

That said, I'm sure it was a very trying time for the
C's management.  Hindsight being 20/20 they probably
would have retained O'Brien till the end of the year
had they seen how this team has fallen.  So I can't
fault them entirely; but the macho stance which
perpetrated the whole fiasco still remains, it's a
stance of arrogance and all-knowing,
my-way-or-the-highway bullshit where disagreement or
questioning is not tolerated and where the C's
management would rather have it their way and suffer
the consequences than have to compromise and bite
their tongue...it's the same stance that got Toine
moved (I don't know, maybe with a little compromise
and communication, Ainge could have gotten Antoine to
play like he wanted; but no, after one conversation
and without playing one game, Ainge determined that
Antoine was intolerably stubborn and would never come
around; we know now who's intolerably stubborn--the
man who formulates a plan and stubbornly sticks to it
till the bitter end).  And while perhaps such a shance
is a beneficial for someone like O'Brien, who's entire
success is based on being respected and not questioned
(at least by the players), it is not one that belongs
in management (are you listening, Danny?) because
management, ideally, is there to manage, not lead.