Re: Don't get the detractors

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 02:56 PM, Ryan W wrote:

Then you obviously haven't been with too many
companies.  Often, when older employees are being
'downsized' or their positions consolidated, they are
asked to stay on for 6 months to a year so as to train
the newer, cheaper employees and to maintain company
continuity.  While some older employees, feeling they
aren't shown enough respect, balk at this opportunity
to make a few more dollars and maintain the level of
proficiency they achieved in whatever department they
are leaving and helped to create, most do stay on.

I have been with a lot of companies. Maybe just not in the same industry as you. I think we are talking apples and oranges here. It's one thing to work for a company, like my father did for 35 years, and suddenly be told that you've got a choice of either early retirement with a package or you can stick around and train the new guys. This is the NBA we are talking about. A "company" where in the East, the coach with the longest tenure is sitting on the bench in Atlanta. Who is it that Danny and management would want Obie to train for those last few months? Do you think the team would play harder for him knowing that he was quitting on them at the end of the season?
I'm not sure how you can say Obie would be able to keep his emotional investment in the team. The fact that he quit basically disqualifies that assessment.