Re: OB wouldnt be down with 3 for 2 deal

At 08:59 AM 11/10/2003, GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
OB considers Kedrick Brown and Eric Williams his two best defensive players.
Kedrick has put together excellent defensive games against Hamiliton, Kittles
and now Peja.

Pete, did you get a chance to watch yesterday's game or are you going by stats? Dunno, maybe it looked differently on TV, but I was there and no he did not play excellent defense on Peja IMO. He was far too often a step or so behind and appeared to be playing defense with the sort of passiveness he too often displays on offense. I was VERY disappointed, because I've seen him play smothering defense and given his offensive questions his defense is really why he's in the game.

And just a sidebar on that, kudos to Marcus for his defensive efforts on Bibby, who was clearly too quick for James (who is NOT slow). James was also getting rubbed off far too regularly and easily on picks. The difference was clear when Marcus came in. Not that he didn't get beaten on occasion too, but it wasn't continual and he fought to stay with Bibby much better. Jiri also surprised me with some quality persistent defense and Pierce may have forced too many shots but played excellent D as well.

Those guys are bonafide scorers... Plus he LOVES Eric Williams.

First of all if you actually watch Battier play you will see he is not a
"younger Eric Williams". That's junk..they don't play the same kind of game at
all. Eric Williams is a post player who gets the opposition into foul trouble.

Bless you for reminding people of that underrated point though. It was like a switch got flipped when EWill came into the game and immediately started taking it to the hoop and getting some fouls finally called our way. Enough that I figured I'd do a bit of statistical analysis around a theory about that. I'll post about if anything worthwhile comes from it.

Kim