OB wouldnt be down with 3 for 2 deal

> Ring, ring, ring, that's all Jerry West has been hearing
> lately. Teams are apparently phoning for guard/forward Shane
> Battier. In order for Battier to leave the team, they want size
> and somewhat youth back. Danny Ainge, Celtic's new GM, has been
> eyeing Shane Battier.
> West has been entertained by offers, but seems like the
> Celtic one makes the most sense and West feels it's a good move
> for the Grizzlies franchise. The deal would package Kedrick Brown,
> who has unlimited potential, with rough Eric Williams and big man
> Tony Battie to Memphis for Shane Battier, Wesley Person and a
> future 2nd round pick.

Some analysis:

OB considers Kedrick Brown and Eric Williams his two best defensive players.
Kedrick has put together excellent defensive games against Hamiliton, Kittles
and now Peja. Those guys are bonafide scorers... Plus he LOVES Eric Williams.

First of all if you actually watch Battier play you will see he is not a
"younger Eric Williams". That's junk..they don't play the same kind of game at
all. Eric Williams is a post player who gets the opposition into foul trouble.
Battier is a perimeter player who takes good shots. Both play smart defense but
offensively they have nothing in common.

Person is a very poor defender and like Battier a one dimensional jump
shooter. He is actually even more one dimensional then Battier in this regard. He is
also bad on the glass.

So if the Celtics made this trade -
The would be giving up a decent big man - even if he is play like crap right
now..a SF with a more useful game who is currently outplaying Battier, and a
prospect who is playing as well as the "veteran" guy we are getting. This is a
bad trade.

Eric Williams > Battier (Post guys are better then perimeter players)
Kedrick + Battie > Person (A serviceable big and a prospect is a steal for a
old one dimensional shooter)

This trade would go down has highway robbery in years to come. Its an awful
deal for the Celtics. Don't count on it happening - OB loves defense and all
three of those guys are good defenders. Papile and Wallace would never sign off
on it, and OB wouldn't like it. I suppose DA could push it through if he
really wanted - but I don't see this deal as legit. Its hard to imagine it going
down. I think this rumour is nonsense.

Pete