Re: OB wouldnt be down with 3 for 2 deal

--- Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 08:59 AM 11/10/2003, GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >OB considers Kedrick Brown and Eric Williams his
> two best defensive players.
> >Kedrick has put together excellent defensive games
> against Hamiliton, Kittles
> >and now Peja.
>
> Pete, did you get a chance to watch yesterday's game
> or are you going by
> stats? Dunno, maybe it looked differently on TV, but
> I was there and no he
> did not play excellent defense on Peja IMO. He was
> far too often a step or
> so behind and appeared to be playing defense with
> the sort of passiveness
> he too often displays on offense. I was VERY
> disappointed, because I've
> seen him play smothering defense and given his
> offensive questions his
> defense is really why he's in the game.

Must refute you here, Kim.  Kedrick played pretty good
defense, was cited by O'Brien in today's papers as
playing good defense (take that for what its worth)
and, most importantly, held Peja to 13 points when he
was averaging 27.  That is all indicative of playing
good defense.  I will agree that he was sagging off
here and there, but that goes with playing starter's
minutes.  If he got in Peja's jersey every time, we'd
be seeing alot of free throws and less of Kedrick (and
he wouldn't be playing starter's minutes), since the
refs have been giving Kedrick the respect of a rookie.
 Kedrick, in the first four games or so, would get in
the other guy's jersey (and that other guy was the
other teams' best perimeter player) and he'd get
ticky-tack fouls repeatedly (see the first quarter of
the Detroit game v. Hamilton).  Obviously, someone got
to Kedrick and told him to lay off for the time being
because you can still play good defense without
getting in a guy's jersey.  And that's what Kedrick
did yesterday.

> And just a sidebar on that, kudos to Marcus for his
> defensive efforts on
> Bibby, who was clearly too quick for James (who is
> NOT slow). James was
> also getting rubbed off far too regularly and easily
> on picks. The
> difference was clear when Marcus came in. Not that
> he didn't get beaten on
> occasion too, but it wasn't continual and he fought
> to stay with Bibby much
> better. Jiri also surprised me with some quality
> persistent defense and
> Pierce may have forced too many shots but played
> excellent D as well.

Actually, Marcus did get stuck behind at least three
screens, which in turn led to open jumpers.  As Tommy
was saying on the broadcast, he was sticking to the
picker like a fly to flypaper, which, btw, was a
pretty apt analogy.  But I do agree that Marcus played
better D last night.  Before long, Marcus will be
starting....

> >  Those guys are bonafide scorers... Plus he LOVES
> Eric Williams.
> >
> >First of all if you actually watch Battier play you
> will see he is not a
> >"younger Eric Williams". That's junk..they don't
> play the same kind of
> >game at
> >all. Eric Williams is a post player who gets the
> opposition into foul
> >trouble.
>
> Bless you for reminding people of that underrated
> point though. It was like
> a switch got flipped when EWill came into the game
> and immediately started
> taking it to the hoop and getting some fouls finally
> called our way. Enough
> that I figured I'd do a bit of statistical analysis
> around a theory about
> that. I'll post about if anything worthwhile comes
> from it.
>
> Kim

By worthwhile do you mean if it proves your point?  I
hope not.  It would be best to post the results
regardless of what they may or may not mean.  I've had
the thought myself, so it would be nice to have
statistical evidence one way or the other....

Ryan