Re: Jackie MacMoron Strikes Again

On J-Mac: I generally like J-Mac, but she's dead wrong on this. I think Mark
and Gene said it perfectly. There's nothing to add, except that when an
"eternal optimist" like Gene gives up on Twan, you know it's time for him to go
( like Gene said) to some GM/Coach with enough hubris to think he can control
Toine.

As for the players liking Toine, you have to consider their motives. Their
primary goal is not to win it all (unless we're talking about guys like Bird,
Jordan, or Kobe), but to make good money and have a good time, preferrably
playing with guys they like, for a coach they like. Winning more than they lose
is somewhere in there, as is doing well in the playoffs. But when Eric Williams
pleads to bring back the same crew headed by Toine, he's certainly not thinking
of it in terms of winning championships. He's not taking into account that this
crew is woefully short on talent to challenge even for the ECF. Toine couldn't
even start for teams like NJ, Sacramento and Portland, and no Celtic player
other than Pierce could start for the majority of NBA teams. Williams, Delk,
McCarty, Bremer, even Battie, all should be somewhere in the 7-12 range on a
truly good team.

--- You wrote:
B) It makes more sense to trade for one of these free agents via a sign
and trade.
For a couple of seasons, Karl Malone might be a nice addition, and serve
as segue/
proper veteran influence on whatever young PF the C's should acquire in
the
off season. And if not Malone, then a S/T for Mourning or even Howard.
--- end of quote ---

As I 've said before, Mourning would be worth a try on a short contract. Malone
- I'm not sure how effective he'd be at this stage, especially without
Stockton. He should just finish his career with the Jazz.

--- You wrote:
Interestingly, the owner of the Real GM Web Site called in to WEEI's
Big Show yesterday (thanks Bruce) and suggested the Celtics do a S/T
with the
Clippers for Andre Miller. He suggested Eric Williams, $2 million trade
exception, cash, etc. That might not be a bad move. Miller can be
salvaged.
And with a real PG, the need for Walker is lessened. A win - win
situation.
--- end of quote ---

The problem is, Pierce and Miller hate each other. Such a move would not sit
well with him. Not that we should only trade for guys Pierce is friends with,
but it should be taken into consideration somewhat.

Kestas