Re: ESPN, the place where "No Celtics News Is Good News"

At 10:11 AM 7/25/03 -0700, Ryan W wrote:

>Snoop!
>
>Were you prescribed medicinal marijuana?

Nope, but one heck of a painkiller in it's own right.

>Cause you're
>seeming a little paranoid.  However, a little paranoia
>never did hurt, especially when there are people out
>there with hidden and ulterior motives.

Spoken like someone bucking for Ari Fleisher's job.  :>)))

>   But you
>forgot the greatest injustice (and the one that REALLY
>hurts)...and that is the officiating.  Even in the
>summer leagues (at least in the two televised games),
>we were getting screwed (Kedrick, on a couple of
>occasions, seemed like he wanted to bend that one
>female ref in two) by the officials (I'm not the only
>one who noticed this...Pete, in one of his posts,
>mentioned it as well).  Summer league, however, is one
>thing, but in the regular season and playoffs it has
>reached new heights....and if you wanna get pissed at
>something, get pissed at that

I have.  I refer you to the CBW.  Here's the link to the specific editorial
on the officiating last
season.  http://www.celticsbeagle.net/editorbeagle.html

I assume, not having seen the summer games (thanks for NOTHING, Cox Cable
and NBA tv), that you're referring to Violet Palmer, easily the most
incompetent ref I have ever seen.  She should have been fired after the
season before last, but unfortunately, she was the only female ref in the
league.  Some people were fearful of a discrimination lawsuit.  I'm all in
favor of women as refs, so long as they can do the job competently.  Violet
can't.  Neither can the majority of her colleagues.  That's worse than the
bias, is the lack of ability to do the job well.

>....for of all the Celtic
>hating out there, from the refusal of a cap room
>exemption following the passing of Reggie

I have also commented on that, though not as specifically as the article
about the refs.  In fact, I mentioned it in another post today!

>  to the
>rumored reluctance of other teams' GMs to even deal
>with the C's,

Well, given the number of times Red committed acts of thievery that are NBA
trading and drafting legends, I'm not surprised that GM's are leery even
today. But hey, every poker player will tell you, if you don't like losing,
play to win.

>the bias of the refs is one that is the
>most galling, coming as it does from a supposed
>bastion of objectivity and fairness.  For a profession
>that aims to be as unemotional and discriminating as
>the judicial branch, it often acts more like your
>run-of-the-mill nightclub bouncer, hiding behind rules
>which are capriciously enforced acccording the whimsy
>of the moment.

The refs have a nice setup.  You so much as whisper and a discriminatory
fine is administered.  You'd think that Mark Cuban would be writing the NBA
off as a dependent on his taxes after last season.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle