Re: Tales of a former All-Star

>Baker tries to keep his position as close as he can to the box and
>keep his guy pinned and bends over and reaches for the ball where the other
>Cs will leave the box position to receive the ball. This is why the same
pass
>>can make a difference between two different players.

  You just made my argument for me.  It's no secret that Baker doesn't leave
the box to meet the ball.  It's been pointed out here on many occasions.  But
the two instances that I wrote about had nothing to do with not relinquishing
position.  He was on the box, didn't leave the box, nor did he seal off his
man adequately enough to prevent the steal.  The first time it was a poke
away after Baker already had the ball, so it's hard to argue bad pass, the
second time he let Okur (not exactly an all star himself) get around him for
the steal before the pass could even get there.
So, not only doesn't he meet the pass, he doesn't seal off the defender
either.

I've never in my life heard a coach tell a player to stand and watch a ball
go out of bounds in order to keep position. What good is your position on the
box if your team just turned the ball over?

TAM