Re: Tales of a former All-Star

At 09:12 PM 1/30/03 -0500, Celtic4Hire@AOL.com wrote:
Baker tries to keep his position as close as he can to the box and
keep his guy pinned and bends over and reaches for the ball where the other
Cs will leave the box position to receive the ball.
Hmmm, interesting.
OK, He certainly does do that. And you at least give a reason why it might be intentional vs just lazy/slow/etc.. It's been especially noticeable with Walker out, because Pierce almost always leads away with his passes. I'll even buy into it as a factor -if far from the primary one- for why he has such difficulty catching and hanging on to passes into the post when he does get them, since he's reaching for them and maybe concentrating more on pinning his man than on the pass itself.

 This is why the same pass
can make a difference between two different players. A legitimate point guard
knows the right time and right place where each player wants the ball. Pretty
straight forward BB stuff.
Yup, good points. Although I'll still say that Vinnie just loses the ball too often when it does reach him (passes and rebounds). He's gotten a bit better over the season, but not enough that I'd want to risk the likely turnover by passing it to him with any regularity. That's something to be laid at his own door and not to be excused as always just a bad or wrong pass, even if some of his problems stem from that. It's not as if he's just got Vitaly-like hands of stone, so my hope is that it's something that can and will be worked on with some targeted strengthening workouts there and improved technique (like not bringing the ball down in the first place).

Kim